I've written before about my love for cloth nappies (Changing to Cloth Nappies & gNappies gPants) and this little package also came from gNappies...in the form of a message in a bottle!
The aim of the message was to inform me of gNappies new scheme. They have teamed up with environmental group 5 Gyres to help eliminate plastic pollution.
Here are a few statistics for you all (some of which shocked me!):
- 50% of plastics produced are for single use
- 60,000 plastic bags are consumed in the world every second
- 90% of waste entering our oceans is plastic
- 7 out of 10 items that are picked up on world's beaches are plastic
- 50 billion plastic drink bottles are used every year
- Around 37,000 tons of plastic are in our ocean gyres
Polypropylene and polythylene are the two most common plastics that are found in our oceans and most disposable nappies that are on the market contain these plastics. gNappies disposable inserts don't.
gNappies and 5 Gyres are collaborating in order to encourage parents to eliminate unnecessary, single-use plastic from their homes. We, as a family, have gotten rid of our what seems like 50,000 plastic bags in our kitchen cupboard and are now using canvas ones.
gNappies have also launched the Great White Shark gPants and Clean Water T-shirt and with every design sold, 5 Gyres will sponsored to clean up a foot of beach.
So what are you waiting for? Go eliminate some of the unnecessary plastic from your home!
(Disclaimer: I was not compensated in any way for this post.)